Friday, March 1, 2013

Beautiful Creatures




Description: Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
 Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
 In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything. -Amazon

Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Release date: December 1, 2009
Publisher: Little Brown
Pages: 576
Source: My personal copy
Reading level: Young Adult

Teaser Sentence(s): 'If he only knew. Thanksgiving break had only been a long weekend, but it felt a lot longer, considering that Twilight Zone of a Thanksgiving dinner, the vases flying between Macon and Lena, and our journey to the center of the earth, all without leaving the Gatlin city limits.'

My thoughts: This book really wasn't bad. I have seen lots of bad reviews for Beautiful Creatures, and I don't really get why? I was never bored with the reading. I guess everyone just has different taste. 
 I loved that this was written from the guys point-of-view. It was nice to not be stuck in the whiny mind of a teen-aged girl. Although, I would like to hope Lena wouldn't be the norm. I really liked Ethan and Lena. I read somewhere that Ethan was not relatable. I had no problems with any of the characters in this book. 
 Some of the southern grammar in Beautiful Creature may throw some readers off, but being from Mississippi I had no problem reading the Southern dialect. 
 I would recommend this book. It's a good, dark read. 
  
Rating:

6 comments:

  1. This is one of those that is on my list.. I am kinda intrigued but I have no idea when I will get to it.. honestly the movie has been turning me off more than the bad reviews (and I havent heard that many as of yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch TV or movies very often, so I have no even seen a trailer for the movie. I guess I need to get on youtube and change that.

      Delete
  2. I started reading this book but didn't like so I couldn't finish it. Did you watch the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just grabbed this one last week since it was a Kindle deal, hoping to start it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've liked it too. I was so into it that I went for the second volume just after putting the first down. Huge mistake!
    Usually, I prefer to appease my mind with a different genre before continuing my progress.
    Because I was too impatient, as a result, it's already a year since I've started and I'm still at the beginning.

    But because of the movie, I've put the sequel on my list for my march's reads. Hope it will be as good as the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even finish this book. It's too long and it's just going in circles, it's annoying.

    Anyway, I'm Michelle from Book Blogs--followed your blog!
    I hope you have time to visit my blog and follow back. :)

    Michelle Shouts Random

    ReplyDelete