Saturday, March 23, 2013

Rise of the Fallen (All The King's Men #1)





Rise of the Fallen
Donya Lynne


Release date:
March 23, 2012

Publisher:
Phoenix Press

Pages:
181

Source:
Kindle Freebie

Reading level:
Adult







Description:
In the streets of Chicago exists an uneasy, centuries-old truce between vampires and their distant cousins, a race of shifters called drecks. Vampire enforcement agency, All the King's Men (AKM), is charged with maintaining the truce, but when volatile enforcer Micah Black loses his mate and falls into the biological agony that results from the broken bond, he tests the boundaries of the truce by seeking out Apostle, a leader in the dreck community. Micah wants Apostle to kill him, a request Apostle is more than happy to fulfill.
When ex-Army medic Samantha Garrett inadvertently disrupts the plot and saves Micah's life a chain reaction set Micah's heart on a collision course with Sam's, but he will have to protect her from Apostle and her obsessive ex-husband, Steve, if they will have a chance at forever. Can Micah hold his emotions together to keep Sam alive?

Teaser Sentence(s):

'"The fallen has risen. Back from the dead to walk among the living once again."'

My Thoughts:

This is one of those Kindle freebies that has been on my iPhone for *shrugs* I have no idea how long. I randomly started reading it when I was out and found myself with some time and no book. 
I really liked the first half of the story, even though I felt like I was reading something from The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward. The second half just felt like it was written too quickly. Everything was wrapped up in a hurry like there should have been more to it. 
The two main characters were awesome. I loved Samantha. She wasn't your ordinary can't-take-of-herself-chick. She is ex-Army and totally bad-ass. The romance between Micah and Sam was believable and didn't seem forced. But the whole story between her and her ex-husband didn't seem well thought out. It just seemed thrown together when the story was having downtime.
I would suggest this to someone who just needed something smutty to read. I enjoyed it enough to finish reading it, but I am glad it was a freebie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment